1. Use advanced visual design skills to conceptualize, create and produce intuitive/visually appealing designs and multi-media campaigns that include printed pieces such as publications, collateral materials, annual reports, fundraising appeals, and direct mail as well as web and print ads, logos, advertising, billboards, e-blasts, social media graphics, merchandising elements including posters and banners, and website elements. Designs must reflect the look and feel of different brands and demonstrate strong typography, color, layout and designs skills. Encompasses web, interactive, animated, and static content.
2. Meet to discuss and understand business objectives and requirements of the project. Help interpret the internal client's business needs and develop a concept to suit their purpose. Clearly present work using language and references that a non-designer would understand. Includes estimating the time required to complete the work and providing quotes, developing design comps, thinking creatively to produce new ideas, concepts and solutions. Use innovation to redefine a design project within the constraints of cost and time.
3. Act as liaison with appropriate vendors including printers, photographers and production agents to obtain and evaluate competitive bids utilizing knowledge of paper types and grades, RGB and CYMK color principles, bulk quantity pricing, etc. Review proofs for print-based deliverables.
4. Work collaboratively to make design decisions that are practical from a development standpoint.
5. Create and edit PowerPoint presentations for internal and external audiences.
6. Create and edit content for digital signage and display materials.
7. Work collaboratively with developers, making design decisions that are practical from a development standpoint.
8. Assist in designing responsive websites, apps, and/or other interactive content, utilizing a solid understanding of user experience best practices, as needed.
9. Assist with the creation and maintenance of websites using WordPress. Design custom icons, for use on the web, within apps, or as part of a logo design, as needed.
10. Assist with the creation of engaging videos using Corel Video Studio, as needed.
11. Keep abreast of emerging technologies in design and new media, particularly design programs such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Publisher, Canva, and SharePoint, HTML, and WordPress.
12. Attend and assist in the coordination of special events, as needed.
13. Maintain the archival files including shared content drive, collateral samples, display materials and photography, as well as printed material files which are used to determine quantities, usage rates, etc.
14. Proofread to produce accurate and high-quality work using AP style guidelines.
15. Ensure compliance with organizational brand guidelines.
16. Provide fresh ideas, new perspectives and positive energy to group and team discussions. Recommend improvements and efficiencies.
17. Take photos and videotape as needed or assigned.
18. Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
19. Physical Requirements - while performing the duties of this job the employee is required to sometimes stoop, bend and lift or move up to 30 lbs.
20. Clean New York State driver’s license as outlined in DePaul’s Clean Driving Record Policy.
Education: B.A. in related discipline: Graphic Design, New Media Design, Interactive Design, etc.
Experience: A minimum of three to five years of professional experience designing and producing publications, collateral material, advertising, merchandising elements, PowerPoint shows, and new media including e-blasts, social media graphics, and website content and development. This position requires the designer to manage projects from start to finish including assisting with concept development and presentations, layout and production, vendor coordination, and communicating/troubleshooting with clients and vendors. Superior planning, organization and prioritization skills are critical. Other key qualities include excellent written and verbal communication skills, a positive attitude; ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment giving careful attention to detail. Possess a strong work ethic and a collaborative spirit. Significant proven experience working with vendors to select paper, spec and obtain competitive quotes, review proofs, etc.
Special Requirements: Design versatility and creative thinking are a prerequisite. Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, as well as PowerPoint. Proficiency working in Microsoft Word, Publisher and Excel. Basic understanding of video editing with programs such as Corel VideoStudio or Final Cut Pro. Basic understanding of Constant Contact, WordPress, Canva and social media platforms a plus. Strong typography and layout skills mandatory. Thorough working knowledge of the English language, grammar and punctuation. Familiarity with AP style preferred. Strong drive for excellence and team success. Ability to accept creative direction and demonstrate willingness to collaborate.
Bonus Skills: Experience with animation, photography, traditional or digital illustration, motion graphics design and video/television production is a plus. Experience with copier fiery and Command WorkStation.
Must have a clean, well-organized, professional portfolio that exhibits candidate’s original design, interactive work and design fundamentals such as typography, composition, and color.